You must download and install the 32-bit MySQL Connector/ODBC on each client machine which requires access to the Windows UI of SupportDesk. The 32-bit MySQL Connector/ODBC can be downloaded from https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/.
Once installed, you need to create an ODBC connection to the database using the 32-bit Data Sources (ODBC) program in Administrative Tools (on 64-bit machines you will find this program in %systemroot%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe).
- Go to Control Panel on the computer, and choose Administrative Tools.
- Open ODBC Data Source Administrator (32-bit) program.
- Click on the System DSN tab and click Add.
- The Create New Data Source window appears, select MySQL ODBC x.y Unicode Driver as the driver (where x.y represents the downloaded version of MySQL ODBC Connector). Click Finish.
- Complete the fields as per the screenshot below, namely: Data Source Name, TCP/IP Server (MySQL server), User, Password, click on the Database drop-down and select the supportdesk schema, click on the Details >> button to expand the bottom section and select Character Set = utf8mb4 (or utf8 in older versions of MySQL). Click the Test button.
- Assuming the test is successful, click the OK button.
- You can now log in to SupportDesk. You may be presented with an error when you first log in – this is because SupportDesk does not have the MySQL username and password yet. Click through the error, switch to the SQL Settings tab and enter the MySQL username and password. Click back to the Login details tab, and log in to SupportDesk.